Get off the beaten track, and enjoy the view.
Join Mike MacKinven and Mark Smith on an epic journey through some of NZ's best prehistoric landscapes around Wharariki and beyond.
Below is all the information you will need to help you prepare for your 3 night trip to Wharariki.
There is no set itinerary due to the changeable nature of the area so locations will be decided upon as we go.
What the fees cover:
- DOC fees and concessions.
- Tuition from us.
- Transport from Nelson.
- Farewell Spit Tour!! *
- Accommodation twin/triple share.
- Photoshop, Lightroom and other editing software.
- Plus much much more!
Where will we go?:
- Wharariki Beach of course!
- Farewell Spit
- Astrophotography at all locations, weather permitting
- Onekaka Wharf
- Puponga Wharf
- Kaihoka Lakes
- Whanganui Inlet
- Paturau Rivermouth
- Anatori Rivermouth
- Plus much much more!
What to bring
- Notebook and pen.
- Good walking shoes/boots.
- Raincoat and wet weather gear.
- Warm gear: beanie, gloves thermals etc.
- Plenty of layers.
- Long sleeved clothing or you’ll be taken away by the sandflies!
- Insect repellent.
- DSLR camera.
- Tripod (a must for astrophotography!).
- Laptop loaded with Lightroom and Photoshop (download a free 1 month trial before you leave home!).
- Battery charger and extra batteries.
- Memory cards - at least 32gb.
- Lens warmers.
- Antihistamine cream or pills.
- Snacks, meals and drinks, as these are not provided, but can be purchased in the area.
PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE MEALS OR DRINKS.
Whilst we usually experience great weather, there is always a chance of rain! We will keep an eye on the weather and if it looks like we will be rained out for the entire workshop, then we will postpone/cancel with a full refund. If we decide to go ahead and still experience some rain, we won’t refund the course fees, but will endeavour to alter the itinerary to accommodate the weather, using wet periods to edit photos.
Terms and Conditions:
We need a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 to keep the group manageable and to ensure that each person
gets plenty of one on one time. 25% deposit ($375.00) to be made on booking (non-refundable) with balance owing 1 week before commencement of the course. We will not hold a place without payment. If WE cancel the trip (eg. weather conditions or lack of numbers), we will either: 1. offer another set of dates or 2. refund 100% of your payment. If YOU cancel your booking, then we will refund your payment less the deposit ($375.00).
* Farewell Spit tour: if the workshop fills to capacity, then we will have our very own private group tour!
You will need to make your own way to Nelson, where we can travel as a group to our accomodation in Golden Bay. You will need to organise health/travel insurance to cover equipment losses and failure as we will not be held responsible for such mishaps. You need to make sure that you have a level of fitness to cover our excursions and any health problems that may prohibit such activity need to be clearly expressed at time of booking.
NB: You will need to be in Nelson ready to start at 12pm on the first day where we will meet to go through what we will be covering during the workshop. Bring your notebooks, pen, and camera gear, as we will then be heading out for sunset. If you require your own room, an additional fee will be applicable. The workshop will finish around 10am on the 18th, with the aim to be back in Nelson by 1pm.
We look forward to meeting you and sharing our piece of New Zealand; whilst helping you to learn photography, have a fantastic experience and capture some amazing shots!